NADZIR & RAHIMA

Friday, August 29, 2008
Why I become an engineer?

I almost forgot why I want to be an engineer in the first place. It was what i've always wanted to be one since I was a kid. I've even decided to be one even when I don't know what an engineer actually do. I've always mistaken them for a mechanic or a technician. But it's not too far off really, coz engineers are suppose to be better than technicians. What technicians knows or do, engineers knows it better...or do better...all technician's job should be at engineers' fingertips. Well, that's the ideal engineer. At my plant, not all are like this...they're too busy with paperworks and procurement issues rather than dealing with the plant. Which makes their job becomes boring. I went to see my guys yesterday as they were opening up (overhaul) the boiler feed pump, which happens to be the biggest pump in our plant. It was really interesting seeing how they disassembled the thing, just like playing lego which is a really fun thing to do when you were a kid. But in this case, it's much much more complicated, more expensive, bigger and heavier than lego. It requires skills and experience to do this job fast and efficently. And I’d have to say that my guys are really up to it. So now, how in the hell do you acquire those skills and experience when you are busy dating with your computer!!? I have to admit though that my colleagues are struggling with their paperwork jobs that they have little time to go into the plant. You see, the pump that I said just now gets to overhaul once every 5 years. How rare is the chance? And after five years, you may already be a senior engineer which is worse when u think that u did not spend 1 hour of your time to see ur guys at the plant 5 years ago..how are u going to be better than ur technicians as u go up the ranks? This is the problem at my plant...u can only be better than someone when you be and surpassed that someone...to be continue….

posted by NADZIR & RAHIMA @ 2:12 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
OUR LIFE, FAMILY & FRIENDS
About Me

Name: NADZIR & RAHIMA
Home: Malaysia
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
YOUR TITLE HERE

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.

Links

BLOGGER